1 compensation (given or received) for an insult or injury; "an act for which there is no reparation"
2 (usually plural) compensation exacted from a defeated nation by the victors; "Germany was unable to pay the reparations demanded after Wordl War I"
3 the act of putting something in working order again [syn: repair, fix, fixing, fixture, mend, mending]
4 something done or paid in expiation of a wrong; "how can I make amends" [syn: amends]
EtymologyFrench réparation, Latin reparatio.
- /ˌɹɛpəˈɹeɪʃən/, /%rEp@"reIS@n/
- A payment of time, effort or money to undue past transgression(s).
- The act of renewing, restoring, etc., or the state of being renewed or repaired; as, the reparation of a bridge or of a highway.
- Greek: επανόρθωση (1), επιδιόρθωση (2), αποκατάσταση (2)
Reparation may refer to:
- War reparations
- World War I reparations, made from Germany due to the signing of the Treaty of Versailles
- Reparations Agreement between Israel and West Germany, Holocaust reparations
- Reparation (legal), the legal philosophy
- The Living Corpse aka Reparation, a play by Leo Tolstoy
- Reparation (theological), a theological concept
- Acts of reparation, Roman Catholic prayers for sins of others
- Reparation (album), a Reggae album by musician Eddy Grant
- Reparations for slavery, monetary goods granted by the government to the descendants of U.S. slaves
adjustment, amends, atonement, balancing, blood money, commutation, compensation, composition, compromise, consideration, correction, counteraction, counterbalancing, damages, expiation, expiatory offering, fixing, guerdon, honorarium, indemnification, indemnity, lex talionis, making amends, making good, making right, making up, meed, mending, offsetting, overhaul, overhauling, paying back, peace offering, piaculum, price, propitiation, quittance, reclamation, recompense, rectification, redemption, redress, refund, reimbursement, remedy, remuneration, repair, repairing, repayment, reprisal, requital, requitement, restitution, retaliation, retribution, return, revenge, reward, salvage, satisfaction, settlement, smart money, solatium, squaring, substitution, troubleshooting, wergild